G04 Top Websites for RE Teachers and for religions and beliefs
You will have their own favourites, but here are some suggestions for a ‘Top Ten’:
- awarenessmysteryvalue.org – the agreed syllabus for RE in Bath and North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset and the London Borough of Haringey.
- reonline.org.uk – thousands of searchable RE resources and lesson ideas, including KS1 ‘Charlie and Blue’ film clips, guidance for RE subject leaders, knowledge about religions and beliefs, the RE Cafe and ‘Email a Believer’.
- bbc.co.uk/religion – Religion and Ethics, including new ‘iWonder’ content.
- bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/ – archived page, giving overviews of major world faiths.
- bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zb48q6f – BBC Bitesize revision site for GCSE Religious Studies.
- http://www.bristol.anglican.org/2016/exploring-beliefs-through-art/ Bristol’s isay:usay:wesay project, exploring beliefs through art. All of the resources from the DVD are now available to download from the website!
- truetube.co.uk – videos, lesson plans and assemblies for RE, PHSE and Citizenship.
- reqm.org/ – Religious Education Quality Mark – how to apply for the award – useful for RE self-assessment.
- ltlre.org – details of local hubs for all teachers of RE across the south-west, plus area events.
- natre.org.uk/ – National Association of Teachers of RE – includes details of the Spirited Arts competition.
Websites for specific religions and beliefs
|Bahá’í||http://re.bahai.org.uk/||Basic information about the Bahá’í faith as well as freely downloadable presentations, lesson plans and schemes, ideas for activities, and links to other online resources.|
|Buddhism||www.buddhanet.net||Buddhist links across the globe, with guides to Buddhism.|
|www.clear-vision.org||Exploring Buddhism through a wealth of audio-visual resources.|
|http://thebuddhistcentre.com||Introduction to Buddhism from the Triratna Buddhist Community (formerly Friends of the Western Buddhist Order).|
|Christianity||www.request.org.uk||Asking the ‘Big Questions’ – exploring the Christian faith – produced by Youth for Christ.|
|www.thebricktestament.com||Bible stories told with Lego.
Some…. adult content!
|www.biblegateway.com||Look up Bible passages in many versions – and so much more.|
|Hinduism||www.hindunet.org||Gateway to the Hindu world – arts, temples, Gods and Goddesses, saints and sages (and pop-ups).|
|www.hinduismtoday.com||Introductions to Hinduism by Hinduism Today: ‘created to strengthen all the many diverse expressions of Hindu spirituality’.|
|http://iskconuk.com||ISKCON – the International Society for Krishna Consciousness in the UK and Ireland, with frequently asked questions and links to Bhaktivedanta Manor.|
|www.hinduacademy.org||Jay Lakhani’s ‘Rational Hinduism’ site with links to Hinduism for schools.|
|The Mahabharata||Guide to the Hindu Scripture – site located at Brown University, USA.|
|www.bhagavad-gita.org||Text of the Bhagavad-Gita.|
|Humanism||understandinghumanism.org.uk||Teaching resources for schools from the British Humanist Association.|
|www.reonline.org.uk/knowing/what-re/humanism/||REonline guide to all things humanist.|
|Solarity||Sea of Faith Network ideas for leaders of religion and philosophy clubs.|
|Islam||www.islam.org||Questions and answers, teachings, news and views from IslamiCity.|
|www.quranbrowser.org||Explore the Qur’an, including Yusuf Ali’s classic translation.|
|www.islamicart.com||Islamic arts and architecture.
|Judaism||www.jewish.co.uk||Europe’s pioneering Jewish website, including ‘Ask the Rabbi’ section.|
|Something Jewish||Guide to Judaism from a UK based Jewish community.|
|www.annefrank.org.||To purchase “A Short Life of Anne Frank” DVD & virtual tour of the Anne Frank House.|
|www.torahtots.com||American Site for Jewish children – puzzles! Games! Music! Fun!|
|Sikhism||www.sikhs.org||Sandeep Singh Brar Sikh information. Website including links to educational material, Sikh weddings, virtual tour of Golden Temple etc.|
|www.sikhs.org/english/frame.html||English translation of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, including a comparison of the different English translations.|
|www.sikhiwiki.org||Sikh Encyclopaedia, with ‘Quote of the Day’, ‘Shabbad of the Week’, ‘Daily Sikhi News’ and much more.|