TOP WEBSITES FOR RE TEACHERS AND FOR RELIGIONS AND BELIEFS
You will have their own favourites, but here are some suggestions for a ‘Top Ten’:
- awarenessmysteryvalue.org – the agreed syllabus for RE in Bath & North East Somerset, Bristol, North Somerset, Haringey and The Isles of Scilly.
- reonline.org.uk – thousands of searchable RE resources and lesson ideas, including KS1 ‘Charlie and Blue’ film clips, guidance for RE subject leaders, and knowledge about religions and beliefs.
- bbc.co.uk/religion – Religion and Ethics, including new ‘iWonder’ content.
- bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/ – archived page, giving overviews of major world faiths.
- https://www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zb48q6f – BBC Bitesize revision site for GCSE Religious Studies. See also for KS1: https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/class-clips-video/religions-of-the-world/zfxwpg8
- isyusaywesay – Bristol’s isay:usay:wesay project, exploring beliefs through art. All of the resources from the DVD are now available to download from the AMV website!
- truetube.co.uk – videos, lesson plans and assemblies for RE, PHSE and Citizenship.
- reqm.org/ – Religious Education Quality Mark – how to apply for the award – useful for RE self-assessment.
- ltlre.org – details of local hubs for all teachers of RE across the south-west, plus area events.
- natre.org.uk/ – National Association of Teachers of RE – includes details of the Spirited Arts competition.
Websites for specific religions and beliefs
|Buddhism||www.buddhanet.net||Buddhist links across the globe, with guides to Buddhism.|
|www.clear-vision.org||Exploring Buddhism through a wealth of audio-visual resources. This is an archived site.|
|https://thebuddhistcentre.com||Introduction to Buddhism from the Triratna Buddhist Community (formerly Friends of the Western Buddhist Order).|
|Christianity||www.request.org.uk||Asking the ‘Big Questions’ – exploring the Christian faith – produced by Youth for Christ.|
|www.thebricktestament.com||Bible stories told with Lego.
Some…. adult content!
|www.biblegateway.com||Look up Bible passages in many versions – and so much more.|
|Hinduism||https://www.hinduismtoday.com/||Introductions to Hinduism by Hinduism Today: ‘created to strengthen all the many diverse expressions of Hindu spirituality’.|
|https://iskconuk.com||ISKCON – the International Society for Krishna Consciousness in the UK and Ireland, with frequently asked questions and links to Bhaktivedanta Manor.|
|www.hinduacademy.org||Jay Lakhani’s ‘Rational Hinduism’ site with links to Hinduism for schools.|
|The Mahabharata||Guide to the Hindu Scripture – site located at Brown University, USA|
|www.bhagavad-gita.org||Text of the Bhagavad-Gita|
|Islam||www.islam.org||Questions and answers, teachings, news and views from IslamiCity.|
|www.quranbrowser.org||Explore the Qur’an, including Yusuf Ali’s classic translation.|
|www.britannica.com/topic/Islamic-arts||Islamic arts and architecture.
|Judaism||https://jewishmuseum.org.uk||Find out about Jewish artefacts and the Jewish Lives Project as well as various events and exhibitions in the UK|
|Something Jewish||Guide to Judaism from a UK based Jewish community.|
|www.annefrank.org.||To purchase “A Short Life of Anne Frank” DVD & virtual tour of the Anne Frank House.|
|www.torahtots.com||American Site for Jewish children – puzzles! Games! Music! Fun!|
|Sikhism||www.sikhs.org||Sandeep Singh Brar Sikh information. Website including links to educational material, Sikh weddings, virtual tour of Golden Temple etc.|
|www.sikhs.org/english/frame.html||English translation of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, including a comparison of the different English translations.|
|www.sikhiwiki.org||Sikh Encyclopaedia, with ‘Quote of the Day’, ‘Shabbad of the Week’, ‘Daily Sikhi News’ and much more.|